2020 in the Rear View
by Ken Signorello & Irene Wrenner
January 2, 2021
1. 3+3 Charter Change Passes to provide Fair and Equal Representation for TOV/TIV.
2. The Essex Reporter Stops the Presses in March. The Essex ReTorter arrives in July to Fill the Void in Local Government News Coverage.
3. All Government Committees and Commissions meet via Teams; complete with our own “SNL” gaffe.
4. Thousands of Dollars in Cash handed out to residents and food shelves by the Selectboard and generous donors in April, as job loss and food insecurity grows.
5. Annie Cooper Resigns in April after serving a year on the Selectboard; Dawn Hill-Fleury is Appointed in June.
6. One Main Street land purchased with plans to reclaim this brownfield and convert it to a Pocket Park.
7. Open & Outside in August and Out & About in October provide venues to musicians and dispense vouchers to residents to spend locally.
8. COVID shutters schools and school district finances rocked by pandemic. EWSD Board spends $1m on substitute teachers, students return to classrooms part-time initially; bus drivers still in short supply.
9. Village Voters pass their own Merger Plan in November.
10. Repairs to washed out Densmore Drive culvert begin in December.